ABUJA — There will be no vacancy in
the Presidency in 2019, members of the National Caucus of the All
Progressives Congress, APC, declared on Tuesday night in a seeming lure
to President Muhammadu Buhari to seek a second term. Oyegun and Buhari
The national caucus, comprising serving and former governors, the
National Assembly leadership, and selected members of the national
executive of the party, at the meeting said the endorsement of President
Buhari for a second term would help to stabilise the polity in the face
of what members described as the 16-year rot inherited from Peoples
Democratic Party, PDP.
Meanwhile, the national chairman of the party, Chief John
Odigie-Oyegun, has dismissed insinuations of a threat against his
position, just as the caucus, Tuesday night, constituted a committee to
resolve all pending issues in the party.
One of the issues agreed on at the meeting, Vanguard learned
yesterday, was that President Buhari should be given opportunity to
seek a second term. Though the issue of a second term for the President
was generally agreed, caucus members, however, also agreed that it would
be too early in the day to kick start a second term campaign for the
President. Vanguard learned that the issue was brought up as a way of
resting restiveness among some party leaders, who have been divided over
their various aspirations for 2019.
The positioning by different party leaders on 2019 has been blamed
for the problems that led to the crisis in the National Assembly and
also the inability of the party to inaugurate its Board of Trustees,
BoT, till date.
“With Buhari contesting in 2019, those who have been squabbling will
now have to queue up behind him and put the interest of the party
ahead,” a source privy to the development revealed yesterday.
Remarkably, leading senators in the party on Tuesday night met in
Abuja where they also pledged to unify themselves in the face of the
prospect of losing their influence to the more united PDP caucus.
Odigie-Oyegun dismisses threat to his office
Meanwhile, Odigie-Oyegun speaking to reporters at the end of the
caucus meeting on Tuesday night dismissed reports of pressures on him to
resign his office.
He said: “I am not aware that my office is under threat. I led the
party to the State House. It amazes me, occasionally it annoys me. That
is one of the things you have to endure when you are in a position like
mine.”
Noting the trend of the meeting, Odigie-Oyegun said that a committee
had been constituted to resolve all the crises in the party.
Speaking on the performance of his party’s government almost one year
after taking over power, the national chairman pleaded for time on the
part of Nigerians. He said the government would come on full stream when
the 2016 budget is passed.
No comments:
Post a Comment