Sunday 19 March 2017

Fele, NURTW boss, escapes robbery attack in Ibadan

THE South West chairman of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), Alhaji Taofeek Oyerinde (Fele), was on, Thursday night, in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, attacked by unknown gunmen suspected to be armed robbers.
Speaking on the incident, Oyerinde, who is also the chairman of NURTW in Oyo State, he said that policemen attached to him repelled the attack by the men who came in two Audi cars around 8:33 p.m.
It was the second time in nine months that such an attack had occurred, he said.

“The attack occurred around Soka/Methodist area, along new Garage. Two black Audi cars with unknown registration numbers blocked me around 8:33 p.m. on my way home. They then brought out Ak47 rifles and started shooting sporadically.
“They did not know my security personnel were behind me in a Hilux bus and once my men started shouting, they fled and escaped through Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. I just want to thank the Almighty for giving me the grace to survive another attack.
“I was also attacked last year by men who came in Pegeot 406 and Corolla cars with registered numbers SMK 752 XM and MUS 285. I reported the incident to the police here in Ibadan and Abuja.
“I have also reported this incident to the Police Commissioner in Oyo State, Mr Abiodun Odude and he asked me to make a statement at the Orita Challenge Police Station, which I have done”, Fele said.
He urged the authorities to guarantee the safety of life and property of the citizenry, adding that he would be glad if the incident could be unravelled by the police in the state.
“I will like the police to investigate the matter and I would be happy if they can fish out the people behind this unholy act”, Oyerinde said.
When contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Kunle Ajisebutu, gave the assurance that the police had begun investigations into attempted gun attack on the NURTW boss.
“The DPO of the station where Mr Oyerinde lodged a complaint confirmed the incident to me. According to him, the people (the suspected attackers) were in two unmarked black Audi cars.
“I was told that they shot into the air but they didn’t shoot directly at the man. The police moved with a view to arresting the suspected gunmen, but unfortunately they escaped.
“Though the man (the NURTW boss) said he could not identify the attackers, the police have started investigations, with a view to arresting the suspects,” he said.

No comments: