Saturday 30 January 2016

What I want in a man —Yemi Alade

Yemi Alade entered the Nigerian music scene in 2009 after emerging  winner in a Peak Talent Hunt series and has been improving on her craft since then. In this interview with JOAN OMIONAWELE, the award-winning musician talks about her new business line, music career, personal life, among other issues. Excerpts:
You launched the Yemi Alade Collection sometime last year, what is it about?
Yes o.  Una know say na music I dey do regularly, but it is good to involve yourself in some other things that people can actually see and keep. Music is a combination of audiovisuals, so you cannot exactly hold on to it, but with my jewellery collection which is special, people can see and hold on to it. It is also very special because it has my autograph on it, instead of autograghing cds and albums, my autograph is engraved at the back, so it is like a gift from me to my fans.

Why did you venture into jewellery business?
It is basically because of my love for African fashion. I discovered that whenever I go to other African countries to perform, they usually try to replicate my style, so this time, I decided to make something for them and myself as well. So I decided to collaborate with Brand2Glam, because I have been the brand’s ambassador for almost two years now.So the collection is about my personality, my style and because my style is different, we have decided to make it available to my fans.

I am an African woman, but I don’t wear Iro and Buba about, so I have decided to mix both African and modern culture together, and call it Afropolitan “The African woman meets the metropolis’’

Your signature and style are unique, where do you get your inspiration from?
It’s usually not planned but when it comes to my style, whenever I see something African, I like it, but most times I create my hairstyles especially. But for my videos, I sketch my outfits and bring them to life. But I’m basically inspired by my environment, even when I got to South Africa and Kenya, I was inspired by their rich beads

Who are your target?
It is for the complex African woman with style, I say African because it is African but it is for the whole world.  I am very excited for the new project and I am very sure that a lot of people will love it.

We see lots of celebrities who feel that they have made so much money, rushing into business. What makes your product stand out from the others?
Two things. I don’t think I have gotten to the point where I will say I don make money, I wan look for another thing. You keep growing the brand. There are some people who have recharge card business and still sell other things on the side and have their children handling ‘mama put’ business. Most artistes don’t really branch out. So this is about giving what I can at this stage that I can.

Then if you watch my videos, you will see that my style is very unique. But if you see the pieces, you will understand.

How do you hope to balance this with being a musician?
I’m very good at multitasking. In the morning I still go to the kitchen and do my things myself. I am currently talking to someone for a shoeline and talking to other people for other business opportunities. I am everywhere. I must use my youth well. I lost my dad at a young age and so, I am like my mother’s father and husband. I have a business partner who will take care of it because she understands my work.

How affordable are the pieces of jewellery for the average Nigerian lady who just wants to be fashionable?
The Yemi Alade brand will associate with anyone and everyones, be they Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Ghanaians, South African. I don’t portray myself as being ostentatious and this is to assure you that this will be affordable as being overly expensive doesn’t correlate with my brand. For everyone who loves Yemi Alade, they will be able to get a piece of it.

Last year 2015 was an explosive year for you, did you ever think that you would go this far?
Well, for me and my dreams, we don’t have a limit, I don’t know where, when or how, I am just here experiencing God. I did not know where I was going to get to, but I have not gotten where I want to be yet.

Where do you  see yourself in the next five years?
I see myself topping the music chat internationally, and maybe I would have bagged a Grammy or two.

You are arguably one of the busiest female musicians in the country, how do you unwind?
I am hardly at home. So whenever I get the opportunity and time to stay at home, I try to rest and eat good food

What attracts you to a man?
I like my man who is God-fearing,  has a good sense of style, good sense of  humour, one that has ambition and purpose. He must show it and not just talk about it.

How did you venture into music?
It all started in 2009 when I won the Peak Talent show and that was when it became more serious and I decided to turn my hobby into a career. I got my first record deal in 2011 and since then, it has been from grace to grace.

Your most embarrassing moment on stage?
I tried to do a split on stage and the next thing, my outfit got torn and my shorts did a full split.

How did you manage the situation?
I just waka slowly Komot for stage, no one knew anything. I stood up gracefully and left.

And your most memorable moment on stage?
It has been a beautiful experience for me, especially with the awards and winning the 2015 Best Female in Africa at the MTV awards in Durban and that has been a huge one for me and my team. I was also nominated alongside Beyonce  and Nikki Minaj for an award in Europe. Other than that, I just thank God for life.

What have your challenges been?
It is really hard to produce music when you are constantly travelling, I mean it is hard going back to the studio to produce music. Every other week I am in another country. It has been a bit of a challenge, but we are making it work. There isn’t enough time on the clock anymore.

No comments: